Bulyea Heights is located in the south west portion of Edmonton. This community consists of mainly single family detached houses with a few condominium complexes. Houses in Bulyea Heights range from upper middle class to Luxury homes with walk out basements overlooking some of the cities best ravines.
Bulyea Heights was a neighbourhood defined in the 1979 Riverbend Area Structure Plan, covering approximately 125 hectares in the southwest sector of the city along the Whitemud Creek Ravine. The presence of the Whitemud Creek Ravine, which runs the eastern length of Bulyea Heights, is the most striking feature of the neighbourhood.
Prior to housing development, the land in Bulyea Heights had been cleared for farming. The design concept for Bulyea Heights was to create a single family home residential district that took maximum advantage of its natural surroundings, and effectively separated internal residential roadways from external traffic patterns through the creation of a hierarchical roadway system. The majority of the residences within Bulyea Heights were constructed in the 1970 and are primarily single-detached houses.
Because of the ravine and two freeways, Whitemud Drive and Terwillegar Drive, access to the neighbourhood is limited to two locations: one from Terwillegar Drive at 40th Avenue, and one from the south off Rabbit Hill Road. A small commercial centre is located along Bulyea Road, but the vast majority of the community has been developed residentially.
Bulyea Heights was named after George Hedley Vicars Bulyea who was the first Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta. Born in New Brunswick, he made his way west, moving to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1882, to Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan in 1894, and then on to Edmonton at the turn of the 20th century. He was elected Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta in 1905 and served until 1915.