Located in West Edmonton, Ormsby Place is bordered on the west by an utility corridor, Callingwood Road, 69 Avenue, and 178 Street. Ormsby Place is surrounded by Lymburn, Callingwood South, Jamieson Place and Dechene.
Housing development in Ormsby Place started in the 1970s and 1980s and continued on into the early 2000s. Because the Ormsby Place developed in two distinct phases, the layout of the community varies slightly between the east and west. In the western portion. In the eastern portion of Ormsby Place, homes are oriented along loop and cul-de-sac roads that are connected with a series of small collector roads.
Slightly over half of all residential units in Ormsby Place are detached houses. Many of the row housing condominiums were built in the 1970s and are located around the Ormsby Elementary School. Ormsby Place was named in recognition of A.W. Ormsby, who introduced the present grid system of numbering streets and avenues in Edmonton. Ormsby was the superintendent of Edmonton’s electric light department for 20 years, and he was the City Commissioner in 1918–1920.