Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Britannia-Youngstown became part of Edmonton in 1964 when the Town of Jasper Place was annexed by growing Edmonton. The bulk of homes in Britannia-Youngstown occurred throughout the 1950s and was almost exclusively in the form of detached houses. Westlawn Memorial Park cemetery was also established at this time. Britannia-Youngstown is bounded by 156 Street on the east, Mayfield Road to the west, Stony Plain Road to the south, and 107 Avenue to the north.
Britannia has undergone considerable change in the form of commercial and residential development and intensification. Today it is composed of several condominiums along its boundaries with lower density development in the interior. Commercial land uses are located along the length of Stony Plain Road, which runs along the southern border of the community. Mayfield Common Shopping Centre, a dominant feature of the area, is situated in the southwest corner of the community.
Britannia and Youngstown were originally two different subdivisions within the Town of Jasper Place. As early as 1912, Britannia, which may have been named after the Latin term for Britain, appeared on city maps. The Britannia subdivision was developed in the early 1950s, and the Youngstown subdivision was developed in the late 1950s. Today, Britannia Youngstown is a favorite place to invest in a home for both first time home buyers and investors.