Houses for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Belvedere is bounded by two major arterials and the CNR right-of-way, portions of which were originally part of the village of North Edmonton, and was annexed to Edmonton in 1910. Until the annexation of the Town of Beverly in 1964, Belvedere was considered the outskirts of northeastern Edmonton. Fort Road was developed commercially from the time wagons made the trek between Fort Saskatchewan and Edmonton, beginning with the opening of the Swift Company Packing Plant in 1908.
However, the majority of residential housing development in Belvedere occurred during the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1970s, the City of Edmonton saw potential in the Belvedere area, and, with the development of the LRT system, placed a transit stop in the heart of the area. The hope of planners and civic officials at that time was that the stop would act as a catalyst for further redevelopment in the Belvedere area. These initial efforts were marginalized in the 1980s when both meat packing plants were closed, taking many related commercial businesses along with them.
Today, Belvedere contains a variety of house types and styles. Commercial and non-residential land uses are concentrated along Fort Road, which is also home to the historic Transit Hotel. Another historical landmark in the area is the ten-storey brick smokestack that used to be part of the Canadian Packers Plant built in 1936, but which now stands alone in an empty field.