Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
Belgravia Edmonton is a mature, quiet, low density neighbourhood which was the southwest terminus for the Edmonton Radial railway. Belgravia began to be developed in 1912 when Robert Tegler, who built the Tegler Building which was demolished in 1982 and put the area on the real estate market.
The McKernan neighbourhood lies to the east. Bungalows, semi bungalows, and two storey houses in a range of sizes face treed streets. While the majority of development occurred prior to 1960 and is single family residential, a variety of houses exists in Belgravia, with higher density housing types located towards the edges of the neighbourhood.
In the early 2000s, the former Workers Compensation Board site, located at the south end of the neighbourhood overlooking Fox Drive, was sold and redeveloped as detached housing. This redevelopment, while more dense than subdivision patterns from previous construction eras, provides a sympathetic infill design within this community. The city’s LRT line was extended along the eastern edge of Belgravia in late 2008, with a new stop established on 76th Avenue to connect the existing transit system with the University of Alberta south campus.
Many of Belgravia’s populace are long time residents and enjoy easy access to the River Valley, the University of Alberta hospital, the U of A north and south campuses, and the popular Whyte Avenue commercial area. There is also a small commercial area within the neighbourhood, located along 76th Avenue. Belgravia is named after a fashionable residential section of 19th-century London.