Homes for Sale in Edmonton
AUDREY ABUAN - RE/MAX Real Estate REALTOR®
The residential area now called Beacon Heights remained an undeveloped tract of land northeast of the City of Edmonton remained an undeveloped tract of land until after 1910 when the population began to grow, however, when rich coal seams were discovered beneath the soil and coal mining began. In 1913, the area was incorporated as the Village of Beverly. The village took its name from the Town of Beverly in Yorkshire, England. By 1914, the population in the Beacon Heights area reached 1,000, and Beverly was incorporated as a town.
The town grew quickly until 1961, when Beverly, with a population of 9,000, was amalgamated with the City of Edmonton. The northern portion of the former town contains the neighbourhoods of Beacon Heights and Bergman, while the southern portion is known as Beverly Heights.
Most of the one and two unit homes in Beacon Heights were built in the decade leading up to amalgamation. Condominium housing was built between 1960 and 1980. Beacon Heights has retained the character of a detached house residential community.
The focal point of community activity in Beacon Heights is the Beverly Jubilee Park, as well as the adjoining Beacon Heights Community League facilities. Residents of Beacon Heights are served by businesses located along 118 Avenue, and the Abbotsfield Mall is located immediately east of the neighbourhood.