Houses for Sale in Edmonton

"RAISING THE REAL ESTATE BAR"

Brander Gardens, Riverbend, Southwest Edmonton

The Brander Gardens area was annexed in 1960 by the city of Edmonton. In 1961, the area was included within a plan for phased development of a large portion of southwest Edmonton.

In 1969, Brander Gardens was included within the Riverbend-Terwillegar Heights Outline Plan, a detailed a development scheme for a comprehensively planned community to be, in many respects, self-contained. Riverbend-Terwillegar Heights, with a predicted ultimate population of 95,000 people, was the first of Edmonton’s residential housing areas to be planned on such a large scale.

In 1967, just prior to preparation of the overall plan, Brander Gardens, called Glamorgan at that time, was the subject of a subdivision re-plot. Almost all Brander Gardens houses were constructed during the 1970s. Most homes are in row housing and condominium apartments clustered along the major traffic route, Riverbend Road. The residents of Brander Gardens are served by businesses located in the Riverbend Shopping Center. Proximity to the Whitemud Freeway facilitates access to other major commercial and employment areas in Edmonton.

Brander Gardens was named in honor of George Brander, who came to Edmonton in 1921 and established a peony garden in the Bonnie Doon Area. The gardens were an attraction for Alberta until the 1940s and were the source of most of the peonies in Alberta.

 

View Houses for Sale in Brander Gardens                                View Houses for Sale in Riverbend

Post CommentComments: 0Read Full Story
Houses for Sale in Edmonton
Cell: 780-910-5179
Copyright 2017 by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton. All Rights Reserved.
Data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton.